So I am excited to report that not only do we have a Saturday Farmer's Market (which Rob & I have been to many times) but we also have a Wednesday night one (from 4-7 at Central Park Pavilion) and soon a Monday one at Village Foods (the Old Apple Tree in Bryan, near the High School). So Rob & I met there after work yesterday and got some Apricot Nut bread, some pickled green tomatoes, some Broccoli "side chutes"(looks a lot like broccoli to me??) and some little red potatoes. I cooked dinner last night. I roasted the potatoes in the oven with just some salt, pepper and olive oil. the broccoli I cooked with some onion, garlic, salt, pepper and threw in some home made chicken stock just to help steam it. I drizzled a little lemon juice over it after I pulled it off the heat.
((side bar - since Rob got his new grill he has been cooking/smoking a lot of stuff, particularly chicken, so after we nibble on it for a few days we throw it in the crock pot with water and random veggies and bay leaf, and let it go a few days. It is really good and has a nice smokey flavor that it imparts onto what you add it to. Kinda like a really good bacon!))
For some sort of protein, I just diced up 1/4 of a white onion, diced some tomato (I take out the middle with the seeds, using basically just the flesh and skin) about 1/2 cup of parsley (from our garden - our onions and tomatoes aren't quite there yet!!!) olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and garlic powder and mixed it all up with a can of drained & rinsed black beans. It was AMAZING. Everything we ate was great and Madison loved it all and we actually had NO leftovers!
Great - now I am hungry!
Oh - and after dinner I made peanut butter scones with 1/2 whole wheat flour 1/2 unbleached regular and oatmeal in it. They are GREAT. I will share that recipe soon. Promise!
Oh and I found a great blog for local people (or anyone interested in just blog-stalking!)
No comments:
Post a Comment