Friday, September 18, 2009

USA Today article on Home Births

I have always said I wanted to have my babies at home in the tub. Rob said no the first time, (which may have been a good thing looking back), and by the 3rd day of labor with Fatty McNatty he was willing to let me have her anywhere I wanted to, so long as I just had her.

One of my friends pointed out that the best part of the hospital is that all the mess stays there. That at the end of the day, if you can still get an all natural delivery at the hospital, you might as well go there so they can deal with the blood and placenta and all the other great stuff.

Now that I have had that birth, and seen the mess, I tend to agree. However, I still have a fantasy of having one at home.

This article is great because it is a main stream news paper with a nearly perfect positive take on home births. Maybe we can become a more civilized nation after all, and by civilized I do mean civilized births, too.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's a great article! The sad fact is that the current state of the maternity system in the U.S. leaves many women with no alternative but to have a home birth, and in many states, midwifery is even illegal. The very doctors who fear home births are usually the ones causing the problems. It's a vicious cycle that takes choice away from women, when it should be totally up to us.