Monday, May 5, 2008

Gotta love Texas

So a good friend of mine recently posted on her blog about country living. She had chickens on her back porch (they are not her chickens; she doesn't have any chickens!) and a trail ride that went past and a herd of wild dogs (no really, not just feral, but wild) that ran through her back yard.

This inspired me to start noticing all my lovely country surroundings. As many of you know, there is an oil derrick that greets you when you first come into my neighborhood. Which as you can imagine, is running non-stop right now!

We had a portion of our flower beds torn up this weekend by either an armadillo or a wild hog, we can’t tell, but we are leaning to the hog. It happened at night, so we didn't see the animal.

A trail ride when by our house this weekend, too. Complete with some people in true western gear (like think OLD west) and a covered wagon and everything. It was kind of cool but also really weird… Like they were out looking at the Texas country side. We do live in an actual subdivision! It’s just a country one…

We have a huge vegetable garden, (which I need to photograph and post some pictures, I will try and complete that soon) and the neighbors I believe are trying to figure out how to steal from us and we not notice! :)

We have pet rabbits, but they must be pushing their food out of the (huge) cage because now there are a lot of wild rabbits too. And no, they have not found our garden yet (knock on wood)

A deer did eat some of our garden about 6 months ago when we first planted it. We could tell from the foot prints. Rob said if he/she came back we were having venison for dinner. The deer must have heard him, because he/she has not returned.

There is an oil company drilling about a mile from our house. NON-stop. I thought last week that maybe someone was pouring concrete really early (like 5:30am) but last night we could really hear it. Plus now you can see the drill above the tree line. I think that they must be going though bed-rock, because every once and a while the drill kind of shutters and whines and then continues. I was surprised that they were drilling in a lighting storm this morning...

I can’t remember every little instance that has made me realize that we no longer live “in-town” but I do remember that when we first moved in about a year ago, there were a lot more deer around. And the first night Rob & I went outside and I said “gee the stars are a lot brighter out here!” (We only moved 4 miles away from our last house!) And I know that at night there are coyotes that come over from a neighboring 500 ac park and pace outside of our rabbit cage. And when I go running, I see more cows than houses (which is kind of nice) but I also have to run on country roads which makes Rob a little nervous (rightfully so…). Though most of the time the trucks do move out of MY way, and not the other way around.

Well, that is most everything for now. I will post pictures of my growing garden and growing child soon!

No comments: