Tuesday, April 7, 2009

bread recipe

So I was talking to my mom last night and realized that even though I have only made it 2 times now, I have it memorized. And it is so freaking easy. it takes about 20 mins of my time, and if I do it at night I am home anyway so it doesn't put me out at all.

2.5 cups of warm water (~ 110 degrees) divided
1 TBL yeast (i just use a packet of quick rise)
1 TBL sugar (I use organic sugar, it is more like sugar in the raw than refined white sugar)
7 c. flour (I use mixed unbleached organic white and organic whole wheat)
1 tsp salt (I just use a pinch)
flour for dusting
oil for bowl and pans

I have a kitchenaid mixer so granted it is stupidly easy for me. if you don't have one and want to bake bread, I would highly recommend getting one (or a similar stand mixer)

put about 1 c of warm water, the yeast and sugar into the mixer and whisk about 2 mins. let is stand for 5 mins until creamy looking.

put dough hook on

Add the rest of the water and 3.5 cups of flour in slowly and mix in. add remaining flour and mix about 2 mins or until well combined. if the dough doesn't form a ball, and seems very sticky, add in more flour 1 TBL at a time until it forms a ball. I haven't had to do that, but you might.

Add in salt and lock down mixer and put it on a 2 or 4 setting and let it knead the dough for 10 minutes.

take dough out of the bowl and knead by hand on counter (you might need some flour for this, I have a marble counter so I don't need any) and form into a ball. oil a big bowl and put the dough into it and place plastic wrap or a towel over it. Let it rest until double in size - about an hour.

Remove from bowl and punch down. Divide in half and knead into loaves. Oil your loaf pans and place into the pans. cover again and let rest until double in size. This usually takes me about 35 minutes, but it really depends on your yeast and how warm your kitchen is. (when I do this at night we usually have had the oven on so I put the pans near the oven and it stays warm - about 80 degrees is perfect)

preheat oven to 350, and once dough is doubled, put into oven, and bake about 30-50 minutes, depending on your oven. I use clear glass Pyrex pans. It usually takes me about 35 mins until they are brown all over and sound hollow when I tap the tops.

Remove from oven and take out of pans right away - putting the bread on a cooling rack. I let it sit out all night to fully cool - then wrap it up the next morning.

Fresh bread is amazing, but a word to the wise. Let is cool for at least an hour before slicing it - I know that will be hard, but if you cut it too soon, it just wont be as good. I don't know why that is except to teach us all patience!

No comments: